Skip to main content

Task 1 - Sustainable Design Firm


Modern Species 

Strategic Branding & Responsible Design



ETHOS

Modern Species state "If the world is going to be a better place because your company exists, let us help you build the brand to achieve that goal". 

Better for society. Better for the environment. Better for the economy.
This is what sustainability means for the company. They state they push each other and their clients to be better but without green-washing.


This company designs packaging which reduces or eliminates waste which will make production costs cheaper for the client. 


They focus on making sure the paper manufacturer has proper working conditions by vetting them. I believe looking at manufacturing ethics is important in the production of making design sustainable. 

Design sustainability is about taking into consideration the small things which a lot of people may not realise, such as the loading times of website pages. Websites need energy to run and water to cool the server rooms. Modern Species designs for page load speed and they will recommend ethical hosting companies to cut down on carbon and e-waste. 


DESIGNS

Marlene's Market & Deli
Logo


Paper Bag and Business Card 


Out of all the designs Modern Species have shown on their website, the designs above are my favourite. I admire the natural feel to this design. The use of colour is very eye catching. I think the illustrations used work in harmony with the typography. The colour of the illustrations stand out which makes you double take and look at the company name. The paper bag they have designed is simple but effective and it looks natural which is what the company wants to the consumer to recognise. 

Planet

Logo & Packaging Design 


Before Re-Brand


Modern species have changed this brand for the better. They have made the logo look a lot more visually pleasing and unique. I think changing the type from serif to sans serif has done a lot of justice with the overall look of the logo. To me it looks like they have been quite subtle with the re brand. There are no major differences in terms of layout. This can be a good thing because existing customers recognise the brand. 
Personally I think they could have worked with the packaging designs to create clear bottles instead of white bottles. 'Free and clear' is what the text says and I think they could have gone about the bottle design differently. This ultimately would have effected the look of the labels. 


What do I find the most interesting part of their website?

I found the web page in the link above the most interesting part of their website. I think it is important for companies to act on what they preach and getting involved in protests just goes to show how passionate they are as a company about their design and ethical thinking. 
In this section of their website they also show they are keen on keeping up to date with the latest news on sustainability. It is important to keep up to date with the latest news as a designer so you can create the most effective designs. 




Other Thoughts


I admire how they want to help sustainable companies start up and grow. I believe they are taking steps in the right direction and acting on their values. Out of a lot of graphic design companies I have researched, this company has a passion which clearly shows in what they produce and how they act.



Comments