Skip to main content

Lecture notes.

Planned Obselesence

The Men Who Made Us Spend BBC Documentary

 

What is the Videos Theme?

The videos overall theme was about why do we spend what we spend. Jacques Peretti investigated consumerism and the people who have the biggest influence on the public (consumers). 

The documentary explores how in 1980's Berlin it was found out there was a limited life cycle of the light bulb. In short terms, there was a tiny amount of oxygen placed into the bulb which eventually caused the tungsten filament to fail. Lightbulbs had been made so they would only last for 1000 hours rather than 2600 hours which was the natural lifespan on a light bulb, this doubled business profits within 5 years. 



Planned obselesence has also happened with everyday objects such as printer ink cartridges as well as cars. In some cases you can reset the cartridge so it can print out more pages by using the remaining ink. With cars, if something goes wrong deep inside the engine you would have to replace the whole engine compared to in the 1950's where you could just replace only the part which was broken. 

Name an Individual or Group. Who are they and why are they featured?

Apple are a prime example of a company who uses strong marketing tactics to advertise their products which are designed to get slower over time making the consumer think the next upgrade will be bigger and better. 









What is my perspective?

When I watched the documentary I was shocked to see how many people are so influenced by the advertisements of Black Friday and especially mobile phone companies such as Apple and other major brands. When I venture out to the shops I see how many people are falling for "sales" because marketing and graphic design can be very deceiving for the consumer. As a graphic designer I will be a part of this where I will create effective ad campaigns to help companies increase from profit of these sorts of sales as well as sales in general. 

User Testing 



Green Print



The Story of Stuff 



A Crude Awakening 




Documentary about climate change 






Comments